Associate Professor of Anthropology
Departmental Research and Linkages Coordinator
Programme Leader – Master of Development Studies and PhD Development Studies
- PhD in Anthropology (Washington University)
- Master of Arts in Anthropology (Washington University and University of Nairobi
Research/Academic and Professional Interests
Environmental Anthropology Subsistence Transformations in ASALs, Natural Resource Use Conflicts, Qualitative Research Methods
- Omar, R. A. and Mutundu K.K. (2020) Effects of Khat Consumption on Consumer-Community Relationships in Kamukunji Constituency, Nairobi County, Kenya. International Journal of Humanties and Social Sciences 8 (1)
- Mutundu, K. K. (2019) Historical Transformations of Hunter- gatherer Mobility and Subsistence: the Case of the Mukogodo in East Africa. Ethnobiology Vol. 18 (13: 17-23)
- Olala, Gilbert and K. K. Mutundu (2017) An Analysis of the Contribution of Benchmarking to the performance of Community Based Organzations in Kisumu City, Kenya. International Journal of Research in Social Sciences Vol. 7:12, pp. 648-659
- Moibi, Hezron Nyaberi, W.N. Marangu and K. K. Mutundu (2014) Assessment of the Effect of Paupers’ Suits Expenses undertaken by the Court as Corporate Social Responsibility on Performance of Magistrate Courts in Kitui County, Kenya. European Journal of Business and Management Vol. 6 (20): 176 – 181
- Musyoki Josphine, J. Mugwe, K. Mutundu, and M. Mburu (2013): Determinants of Household Decision to Join Community Forest Associations. A Case Study of Kenya. ISRN Forestry Vol. 2013. Article ID 902325
- Mutundu, K. K. (2010): An Ethnoarchaeological Framework for the Identification and distinction of Late Holocene archaeological sites in East Africa. Azania 45, 1: 6-23
- Prenderghast, Mary and Mutundu, K. K. (2009) Late Holocene Zooarchaeology in East Africa: Ethnographic Analogues and Interpretive Challenges. In Tracking Down the Past: Ethnohistory meets Archaeolozoology, edited by H. Gisela grupe, G. MacGlynn, and J. Peters Documenta Archaeologiae 7, Munich.
- Mutundu, K.K. (2006) Co-Editor: The Role of Universities in the Attainment of the Millennium Development Goals. Conference Proceedings, Kenyatta University, Nairobi Mutundu, K.K. (2005). Inferring herd management practices from archaeological age mortality profiles: ethnoarchaeology among contemporary pastoral Maasai in Southern Kenya. Archaeofauna 15: 83-91.
Conferences and Professional Engagements
- 2018: with Prof. Pamela Ochieng’: An Evaluation of the Virtual Learning Platform for Postgraduate Studies: Challenges, Lessons and Prospects in a Changing Education Landscape in Kenya. 5th International Interdisciplinary Conference. Thika, Kenya
- 2018: with Dr. Mary N. Mugwe. Philosophical and Pedagogical Contestations in the Teaching of Evolutionary Theory in a Kenyan Educational Setting. Christian & Scientific Association of Kenya International Conference. Naivasha, Kenya
- 2017: Water Resources Conflicts on the Laikipia Plateau. International Multidisciplinary Disciplinary Conference. Nairobi, Kenya
- 2014: Education and Partnerships for Sustainable Development in Marginal Environments. National Water Summit. Turkana Kenya
- 2012: Mobility and Interactions in Hunter-gatherer Subsistence Transformations: Ethnohistoric Analogues among the Mukogodo in East Africa. Society of Africanists Archaeologists Conference, Toronto, Canada.
- 2004: Excavations at Ol Ngoroi in Context. Society of Africanist Archaeologists Biennial Conference, Bergen, Norway.
- 2003: Ethnohistoric Archaeology and the adoption of Pastoralismamong the Mukogodo of Kenya. Invited colloquium at Harvard University and the African Studies Association 43rd Annual Meeting. Boston.
- 1999. From hunters to farmers: specialized foraging among the historic Mukogodo of Kenya. Invited colloquium at the University of Connecticut, Storrs, and University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
- 1998 with Fiona B. Marshall: The role of zooarchaeological interpretation: a survey of the African literature from later archaeological periods, ca 20,000BP to the present. International Congress of the International Council for Zooarchaeology, Victoria, Canada